What is antenatal physiotherapy?
- It is a specific area of physiotherapy focusing on treatment and management of women's health issues during pregnancy
Is physiotherapy good for pregnant woman?
- Yes, physiotherapy is an effective way to help you manage your pain and can offer you a variety of ways to make your pregnancy more comfortable.
How can physiotherapy help in pregnancy?
- Very beneficial for solving common discomforts like back pain, pelvic girdle pain and other pregnancy related musculoskeletal issues.
What all are the common musculoskeletal problems seen during pregnancy:
- Low back pain
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Sacroiliac joint pain
- Pubic symphisis pain
Benefits of exercises during pregnancy
- Improve fitness
- Reduce risk of gestational diabetes
- Prevention of excessive weight gain
- Reduction of hypertension and maternal depression
- Reduce risk in pregnancies like raising blood pressure, reduce morbidity and mortality rate
- Encourage for normal delivery
- Strengthening the pelvic floor and core muscles
- Helps to cope up with the postnatal musculoskeletal pain and related problems
- Help to maintain the proper posture and reduces the postural problems
What kind of exercises can be performed during pregnancies?
The exercises are divided into:
- 1st trimester
- 2nd trimester and
- 3rd trimester
It includes the strengthening, stretching, pilates, yoga a breathing techniques and low impact aerobic exercises but after speaking to your consulting gynecologist advice.
What all are the things we include in the physiotherapy session?
- Trimester wise exercises
- Preparing mother for delivery
- Pain management techniques
- Postural care
What all are the exercises and activities to avoid during pregnancy?
- Activities that may result in a fall, such as downhill snow skiing, water skiing, surfing, off road cycling, gymnastics and horse back riding etc.
- Hot yoga or hot pilates which may cause you to become overheated
- Scuba diving
- Sports that puts you at risk getting hit in abdomen including ice hockey ,boxing, soccer and basketball
Contraindications for exercises during pregnancy?
- a) Absolute contraindications to aerobic exercises
- Restrictive lung disease
- Hemodynamically significant heart diseases
- Persistent second or third trimester bleeding
- Premature labor during current pregnancy
- Pregnancy induced hypertension
- b) Relative contraindications to aerobic exercise during pregnancy
- Severe anemia
- Chronic bronchitis
- Severe asthma
- Extreme morbid obesity
- Extreme underweight
- Poorly controlled diabetics, hypertension, thyroid
- Heavy smoker